- What is a biblical church? It is community on mission. God, the Trinity, is a community on mission.
- Isaiah 54 â€“ lengthen and strengthen, increase quantity and quality.
- The Spirit makes us into a community, a family and into a missional people.
- Jesus was forsaken and overlooked at His most crucial moment of mission. It is hard to get the balance right between community and mission. Emphasis on community leads to frustration; emphasis on mission can lead to people feeling overlooked.
- Acts 6:1-7.
- We as CCK are at the stage of advancing in ministry.
- The people who feel most overlooked are usually those who have been there from the start. Feeling neglected, left out and undervalued.
- But there is a remedy for the problem â€“ many solutions:
1. Not to abandon mission.
- We are not a hospital but an ambulance or a hospital ship. We keep moving.
2. Increase honesty.
- If you really don’t agree with something or if you have a complaint, speak up. Even if you can’t raise the issue in a godly way, raise it anyway.
3. Increase organisation.
- When a church is large, too little organisation can damage relationships.
4. Increase number of leaders.
- The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.
- Raising up leaders is the most missional thing we can do.
- God will only give you the harvest when you have enough leaders to care for those He brings â€“ you won’t catch any more fish if you don’t increase the fishermen.
- 2 Kings 4 â€“ increase of pots.
- How? Strategy of trebling everything.
- Weâ€™re not just trying to pastor those we have but the city weâ€™re in.
- Mission must shape the way we do church, not the other way around.
- Mission creates more community and community fuels mission.
- In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. We often discount people because we think they don’t know enough to lead â€“ but they are more useful than we think.
1. Increase responsibility.
- Are you merely involved or are you committed?
- The church is a local missionary organisation.
- The key? Keep saying yes, and when you say no say it with a clear conscience. God will promote you.
2. Increase faith.
- Have faith for one another because of what God can do.
- Romans 15:16.
- Have faith for CCK â€“ faith moves the arm of God to break open Brighton. Have individual faith for it.
- Have faith for giving.
3. Increase Spirit.
- Be led by the Spirit for leading and pastoring people â€“ ask Him to prompt you when someone needs special care or encouragement. All it takes is a call/text/email.
4. Increase hospitality.
- Hospitality is huge in the Bible â€“ it is seen as almost a requirement of Christians, certainly of elders.
- Be hospitable in your home and in your spirit â€“ being welcoming and friendly with your whole self. Give yourself completely. Be accepting and vulnerable.
- Where we meet for church is like our lounge â€“ you can relax, be at home, say hi to those who also â€śliveâ€ť there. And people who are new you welcome in, love them, make an effort.
- Arrive to church early to be there to welcome people.
- God has been hospitable to us, now we show it to others.
5. Increase playing to gift.
- Use peopleâ€™s gifting â€“ maximise on what people are gifted to do.
Some final points:
- Give your elders freedom to make radical decisions.
- Some of us will go by staying.
- The real work of church is not merely launching new sites but loving those who don’t know Jesus in that area.