- What is a biblical church? It is community on mission. God, the Trinity, is a community on mission.
- Isaiah 54 ‚Äď lengthen and strengthen, increase quantity and quality.
- The Spirit makes us into a community, a family and into a missional people.
- Jesus was forsaken and overlooked at His most crucial moment of mission. It is hard to get the balance right between community and mission. Emphasis on community leads to frustration; emphasis on mission can lead to people feeling overlooked.
- Acts 6:1-7.
- We as CCK are at the stage of advancing in ministry.
- The people who feel most overlooked are usually those who have been there from the start. Feeling neglected, left out and undervalued.
- But there is a remedy for the problem ‚Äď many solutions:
1. Not to abandon mission.
- We are not a hospital but an ambulance or a hospital ship. We keep moving.
2. Increase honesty.
- If you really don’t agree with something or if you have a complaint, speak up. Even if you can’t raise the issue in a godly way, raise it anyway.
3. Increase organisation.
- When a church is large, too little organisation can damage relationships.
4. Increase number of leaders.
- The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.
- Raising up leaders is the most missional thing we can do.
- God will only give you the harvest when you have enough leaders to care for those He brings ‚Äď you won’t catch any more fish if you don’t increase the fishermen.
- 2 Kings 4 ‚Äď increase of pots.
- How? Strategy of trebling everything.
- We‚Äôre not just trying to pastor those we have but the city we‚Äôre in.
- Mission must shape the way we do church, not the other way around.
- Mission creates more community and community fuels mission.
- In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. We often discount people because we think they don’t know enough to lead ‚Äď but they are more useful than we think.
1. Increase responsibility.
- Are you merely involved or are you committed?
- The church is a local missionary organisation.
- The key? Keep saying yes, and when you say no say it with a clear conscience. God will promote you.
2. Increase faith.
- Have faith for one another because of what God can do.
- Romans 15:16.
- Have faith for CCK ‚Äď faith moves the arm of God to break open Brighton. Have individual faith for it.
- Have faith for giving.
3. Increase Spirit.
- Be led by the Spirit for leading and pastoring people ‚Äď ask Him to prompt you when someone needs special care or encouragement. All it takes is a call/text/email.
4. Increase hospitality.
- Hospitality is huge in the Bible ‚Äď it is seen as almost a requirement of Christians, certainly of elders.
- Be hospitable in your home and in your spirit ‚Äď being welcoming and friendly with your whole self. Give yourself completely. Be accepting and vulnerable.
- Where we meet for church is like our lounge ‚Äď you can relax, be at home, say hi to those who also ‚Äúlive‚ÄĚ there. And people who are new you welcome in, love them, make an effort.
- Arrive to church early to be there to welcome people.
- God has been hospitable to us, now we show it to others.
5. Increase playing to gift.
- Use people‚Äôs gifting ‚Äď maximise on what people are gifted to do.
Some final points:
- Give your elders freedom to make radical decisions.
- Some of us will go by staying.
- The real work of church is not merely launching new sites but loving those who don’t know Jesus in that area.